Monday, December 8, 2014

Toronto Christmas Market







As many of you know by now, I absolutely adore the Christmas season. The lights, the sounds, the smells, the movies .. haha! So, where better for me to be this time of the year than the Toronto Christmas Market?

This is the fifth year for the Market, and I have wanted to attend each year. Of course the first two years I lived too far away to easily attend, and the past two years, my leg just was not up to the journey. And to be quite honest, since my knee replacement was only three short months ago - I was unsure if I would be able to attend this year. BUT I was sure going to give it my best shot!

This weekend my sister and I went to the Market and I loved every moment of it!

The Market is held in the historic Distillery District of Toronto, and one of the things that I did not consider was the cobblestone streets. Now, two years ago, Bentley (My dog) and I would go for walks down to the Distillery, and walking around the neighborhood upon the cobblestones was not an issue. It should be noted that these walks occurred in the daylight - soo there's that.

Cut to this past Saturday night. It is dark, I am unsteady on my feet, there is a sea of about 5000 people - pushing to get to where they want to be. Let me just say that it was terrifying at times. Luckily my sister was with me, and the poor girl was probably more afraid of my falling than I was! lol  She was so sweet and linked arms with me, pointing out where NOT to put my feet. So in the end, we made it through the evening. At least for about an hour and a half before my legs got tired. But that was enough time for me to soak in the atmosphere.

The lights, the vendor booths, the smells of all of the delicious treats, the Christmas music. Just the festive - jovial energy of everyone there. It was truly a wonderful experience.

I just want to share a couple of the photos I took that evening with you. I hope you can see how festive the Market is and that if you are in the area before December 21st, you will gather your family and head on down to the Market.

Once you arrive, you will see the beautiful towering Christmas tree, which I believe stands at 85 feet! The kiddies can ride the Ferris Wheel, or the Carousel, visit Santa Clause, walk through a life-size Gingerbread House, sing Christmas Carols with Carolers dressed in period costume. Enjoy lots of delicious treats. Truly, it is like walking around in a Christmas Snow globe!